Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Email

EMAIL

Feb. 14, 2012


Do we still need it? Have the ways we’ve used it changed? Yes to both questions.

About 18 years ago, I got my first email address. It seems like that was the dark ages. These days’ three-year-old kids have email addresses. The more advanced ones Tweet.

I remember when I used to stay up and converse with friends via email. In many instances, I still do. Yes, IM is better. But at times it is just more fun to do it via EM. You can answer when you’re ready to. In fact today, my summer camp friends and I exchanged about 150 emails. Some of us are into it. Some are not into it.

Some have to respond to every single email. I used to be that way. But thankfully, I’ve discovered the delete key. These days email is so overused. I get much more junk electronic mail than snail mail. I am happy I have a good spam blocker.

So let me ask my readers. How do you use email? Do you respond to each one received? Do you always hit reply all?

Do you get annoyed when you get cut off from group emails? Do you wonder why some people only respond when emailed by certain people and just cc you? Do you still pick up the phone? Or do you just communicate electronically?

Do you ever wonder when many people are involved in a project only a few people join the electronic conversation?

Send your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I got my first emal address 16 years ago. The first mail I sent was to wish you a happy new year. It took me 15 minutes to write. You responded by giving me pots. My brother-in-law thought it referred to pot. The first six months I chatted a lot until I realized it was a waste of time. I enjoy our email sessions with the camp crowd. Yesterday we hit a record of 219. My fingers were sort of numb. I don't answer every email like your SM does and I send a great deal of it to spam, but email is a excellent way to communicate quickly.

    ReplyDelete