Saturday, February 25, 2012

Subway

Subway

For millions of New Yorkers, the subway is our best friend. But it is also our number one enemy. Yes, going underground is the most reliable, inexpensive form of transportation. With the exception of traveling to Staten Island, it can pretty much get you anywhere you want. I documented the horror of going there a few weeks ago.

There have been lots of budget cuts and track work. It seems the wait in between trains is a little longer. The trains are more crowded. But we are New Yorkers so we live with it. We complain about it.

How can we make subway travel more enjoyable? There are many ways. Bear in mind it is only in recent years that I would actually sit while riding the subway. I was always afraid of who would be sitting next to me. Not fearful of crime. I was fearful of another crime, body odor. Another crime is the sound of awful music blasting from one’s iPod.

Perfect example, the other day, I sat on the train and was completely zoned into the New York Times magazine. Standing a few feet away from me was a woman in her forties. She was loudly humming to the trash that she was listening to.
It happens everyday. I kept on reading. Then she sat next to me. My reading enjoyment ceased. I am not sure if this woman ever showered. Boy did she smell. I finished my magazine and jumped out of my seat.

I walked a few feet away in the train’s car and could breathe. I did hold my nose until I finished reading. But now, I was happy again. The R-train pulled into 49th Street. I was happy to get off. I normally walk like a racecar. But for some reason I chose to walk slowly. Perhaps I was so much calmer because I was nowhere near the smelly humming lady.

I proceeded toward the turnstiles. I was aghast when I heard her awful humming. I looked behind me. The woman was only two footsteps away. I kicked my walk into high gear. I raced through the turnstiles, up the steps and was on 49th Street and home free.

We’ve all experienced this. My suggestions to make subway travel more enjoyable are to create cars for people with annoying habits, i.e. singing, cutting their nails, dancing and preaching. Of course there should be cars for smokers. Yes, I know smoking has been banned from the trains for many years. This vile habit should continue to be off limits. Those that choose to enjoy their cancer sticks before swiping their MetroCards should be forced to ride separately from nonsmokers.
Did you ever sit next to a smoker on the train? They have the “smoker body odor”. It is gross. Sometimes you wind up smelling like smoke, too.

Anyway, it is time to go. I have a train to catch.

1 comment: