Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Being Clean

For some reason, past posts are running through my head. This time it is “Courtesy”. (http://alhaqoutaptonen.blogspot.com/2012/01/courtesy.html)

I knew I wanted to post today. But wasn’t sure what to write. The gym is my muse. So as I walked over, I knew I’d figure it out there.

Who would have thought, I’d be writing about it? I walked over to my favorite treadmill for my warm up run, about 15 minutes at around 7 MPH. Someone left a water bottle on it. I went to the next one. Tissues stuck in it. The next three were the same deal.

Yeah, I know I am a neat freak. After all, the eleventh point of the Scout Law is “A Scout is Clean”. I am Eagle Scout. Not all scouts are clean. In my beloved summer camp, Chappegat Hill, we had numerous campers we had to drag to the showers.
I have Camping merit badge. To earn this, you needed to remember to leave your campsite cleaner than how you found it. I wish the gym goers would have to take this badge when they sign up. I’d be happy to rewrite the requirements to make it more suitable for this venue.

Why can’t people take their water bottles or paper towels and place them in the garbage? I’ve worked out in dozens of gyms across NYC. I have passport membership. I can use any one of my club’s facilities. The one I was in today is usually one of cleaner ones.

People come to this club to work out. I grew up in the Staten Island one. That’s a spectacle. The girls come to do their makeup and hair, while running on the treadmills. The guys come and chat with their girlfriends. Eventually, they lift. No one wipes anything down there. It is the only club, I’ve been to that they do not hand you a towel as soon as they scan you in.

The Rock Center one is pretty clean. The clubs in Soho, Village and UES are usually clean. I am sure they all have their days…

I did find a clean treadmill. I did my run and went upstairs to the weight rooms. Thankfully, my cool down run was on my favorite treadmill. It was clean.

I don’t know why I am so obsessed with cleanliness. I know it is genetic. My mom is. So is grandma. She gets up every day at around 4:30 a.m. and dusts. Bugs her that she has to wait a little while till she can vacuum. Buildings have rules about that. I was on my co-op’s board for a few years. I was told by the maintenance staff that I have the cleanest apartment in all of the three buildings they work in.

I took it to new levels. In my old job we had buffet style lunches served daily. One guy used to put his hands in the trays and eat right out of them. A senior officer, who shared my obsession, knew this clown never washed his hands after the exiting the bathroom. So did I. We would scream at him in front of everyone in the kitchen. He never cared. Some people are just like that.

I know as being somewhat observant, I am required to wash my hands when I wake up, before davening and eating bread. I do all of this. I love that we have laws written into the Torah focus around cleanliness.

As you read this, remember I am far from a Tzadik. I am probably a Rasha, trying his best to get to a higher level. I’ve met only one Tzadik. But she is more like my personal Tzadik. Her wisdom goes beyond anything I could ever think of. She’s helped me in so many ways.

Anyway, time to dust. But I do hope you get my point. Keep clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment