Monday, December 24, 2012

Homeless



Some of you may have read, “Sneakers,” http://alhaqoutaptonen.blogspot.com/2012/01/sneakers.html my debut post. For some reason, the penultimate paragraph so kicked back into my head.
I think it is due to the fact that everyday when I board my “R” train to go to work, I see a homeless man who lives in the Forest Hills station. Over the years, I’ve given him some Snapple and other things.

Here I am, racing off to my Rock Center office. There he sits. Last night, when I walked home from the rabbi’s house after the break-fast. (The Rebbetzin made amazing soups, salads, etc. I felt much better. ) There was a lady sifting through the garbage bags on the street. She was on the phone telling someone about her finds.

It is too wrong. It really puts things into perspective for me. Yeah, as I wrote in “Sneakers”, how pissed I was that no store carried what I wanted. Yes, I found them. But the reality is those problems or being annoyed about how high up I was at MSG during the Who’s recent Quadrophenia show, are worries so many people wish they had.

For example, I know this is nothing. I’m planning my next vacation. I know I will find all the planning a bother. I am sure I’ll go back to Israel. But I can go anywhere. These people need help just to get a cup of coffee.

I’m not sure what can be done. But I wish something could. I am not trying to sound like a “do gooder”. I am not.

Yes, I did spend nearly two-years cutting veggies at In G-d’s Love with Deliver. The veggies and the other food we prepared are delivered to people suffering terminal illnesses, NYC-wide. During our introductory sessions to the organization we watched the most depressing, but enlightening videos. They make you think.

Now I am really happy volunteering with ELEM-Entry NY. Last year, I spent Thanksgiving Day in Tel Aviv helping lots of Israeli teens. For these kids, ELEM-Youth in Distress in Israel is the only help they get. I guess it was a “thanksgiving” for all of us.

These things are small in comparison to what I know some others do. Small in comparison to what’s needed.

I am lucky. I’ve survived stuff, I will likely never write about.

I wonder how much better off we’d be we if helped the people we see living the train stations and the kids in distress? As for me, I will remember how lucky I am.

That’s all for now.

1 comment: