Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Music: Duran Duran and well everything else


The other day, I was out with my college friends. All us boys were in Tau Epsilon Phi. A few years ago, we reconnected on Facebook. I was social chair during the college days. I became social chair again. Why, I don’t know? To paraphrase from Randall and Dante from “Clerks”, “I hate people. But I love social gatherings. Isn’t it ironic?”

Music does all sorts of things to you. At least it does to me. It brings out the depression. That’s why I so love the Smiths, the Cure, Depeche Mode (“Somebody” and ”Blasphemous Rumors” ring too true), Echo and the Bunnymen and all of Morrissey’s solo work. It can bring back old memories of good and bad. Note the Smiths. But then there’s the classic rock. There’s nothing like some Beatles, the Who, Led Zep and Pink Floyd. Yes, I am pissed at Roger Waters these days. But that’s for another post.

Then throw in my all-time favorite U2 (No,” I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”. I know I never will) and don’t leave out Billy Joel and the Boss. I will always be in “New York State of Mind”. I didn’t walk through Bed-Stuy alone. But I was born there. Well the hospital was there. Then I was taken to Sheepshead Bay. I am an angry young man. I know I will go the grave as angry old man. I think I was “Born to Run”. I’ve been in love with a Jersey girl and who doesn’t have a hungry heart? Then there’s Elton John. I wish someone would save my life tonight.

So in the bar we frat boys and college girls talked about P&G’s, Thesis and some of New Paltz’s other watering holes. We laughed about how P&G’s played the same tape every Fri. and Sat. For many years we got wrecked to the same 12-17 songs. I made that mix when I got home. Who doesn’t need to hear “Baba O’Riley”,” Dyer Maker”,” Immigrant Song” and” Fool in the Rain”? Actually we couldn’t remember the Zep song. But thought it was “Immigrant Song”. They teased us with that once in a while. But the staples were “Dyer Maker” and “Fool in the Rain”.

When went out on Sat. we always heard “Saturday Night’s Good for Fighting”,” Crocodile Rock”,” One”, “Mysterious Ways”, “Birthday Song”, “Purple Haze”, “Buffalo Soldier” and “No Woman No Cry”. Of course the bar always closed with “Piano Man”. We all stood in a circle and held hands, while we sung along with Billy. Then we rolled down the hill back to South Side or UG. We usually stopped at Wings-n-Things or Classic Pizza before we rolled down the hill. Every time I hear these tunes, I think back to happier days. We were young and just having fun. No worries.

Us “college grownups” left the first place and went to the next one. Wow, it was just like bar hopping down Main Street in New Paltz. In this bar they played the “Safety Dance”. It was sad or maybe funny that we all knew it. My dad used to do the safety dance when the video came on. It was very goofy.

New Year’s eve, I went out for the first time since the year 2000. The band opened with “Hungry Like the Wolf”. It brought back so many Duran Duran memories. Years ago, they opened the “Astronaut “ album at the Barrymore Theater. Each one of them pulled up in their own limo. All the girls screamed so loud. I remember in the eighth grade when they all wore their “I love Simon or I love Nick” tees and pins. Some of them were wearing them again and teased out their hair just like the old days. Except this time they were sipping beer instead of whatever juice or milk the Snack Shack sold.

I’ve seen them play many times. One of my best friends is a longtime Duranie. Her dog is named for them. She’s in love with Nick. Years ago, I dated a woman who is in love with Roger. Once we were on a date. She told me how she had a dream that she was in a theater alone and Roger was onstage by himself. He was playing just for her.

Then there’s R.E.M. A part of my life ended when they broke up last year. I know I hurt. I’ve seen them countless times. Once the woman, I was with walked out. She was mad at Michael Stipe because he was wearing orange eyeliner and a white suit. The person sitting next to me saw my perplexed face. I said, everybody hurts. Only a couple a weeks before, she and I saw Morrissey. That was fine. Of course, pre-R.E.M. we went to Starbucks so she could get a Rice Krispie Treat. Not to eat. She wanted to fight with it. I am not sure who won? Once R.E.M. set a up vote for the playlist section on their website. I voted for “Night Swimming” probably 1,000 times. They played it.

Hey, what about your tunes?

No comments:

Post a Comment