Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Lecture about Terezin

Terezin

January 19, 2012

Last night, I attended the Terezin lecture at the 92nd Street Y. It was a panel hosted by Ruth Franklin, book reviews editor of the New Republic. It featured Terezin survivors, Zbenka Fantlova and Zuzana Justman. Simon Broughton, a BBC correspondent, who had written extensively about the Holocaust and Middle East, also participated on the panel.

I didn’t know what to expect. I was seated next to a NOM (nice old man). My sister and I used to label our elderly as NOMs or MOLs (mean old ladies). It seemed there were more NOMs, than nice old ladies. Maybe another time, I’ll discuss this.

The NOM was born in the Midwest in 1929. Anne Frank was born that same year. At early age he told me he had an interest in poetry and wrote his first poem, about Anne Frank. It got published. He continued his poems and visited many of the camps. I am thinking of taking this trip one day. I know a few people who’ve done it.

The NOM continued to tell me that he has published a few poetry journals about the Holocaust and met a Terezin survivor along the way, whom he befriended. The two of them often speak at shuls and college campuses. About two years ago at the Y’s 80th birthday celebration for Elie Wiesel he got to read from Night and presented his poems to Wiesel.

As our conversation concluded the panel began. In the split second before it started my new friend encouraged me to walk over the Y’s Art gallery to see the artwork prepared by the children who were forced to reside at Terezin.

The panel began. I was unsure what to expect, other than it to be moving. I’ve seen Elie Wiesel speak countless times. He is unbelievable. But I knew this panel would discuss life in Terezin. Wiesel normally takes parshas and other scriptures and analyzes them brilliantly. Sort of like his own Gemora.

Moving it was. Fantlova, who was an aspiring actress before being deported to Terezin spoke of the performances that those imprisoned put on. Justman did similar. An engaging discussion about Brundibar occurred. Justman showed video clips from her film, Voices of the Children. Through the videos, we got to meet several other survivors and see their art work. We learned about their disrupted childhoods. Or lack of a childhood. None of the people had childhoods. Fantlova is now an actress residing in Australia. Justman has written and directed some films based on Terezin and resides in New York.

They discussed how Terezin was the “model” camp. It was not an extermination camp. The majority of the people, who perished there were the elderly. They generally passed due to hard labor and malnutrition. Far too many young people were deported to Birkenau-Auschwitz, Treblinka and other camps.

We learned about the propaganda movie the Nazis produced. Our panelists were among the many that were forced to make the camp look spic and span for the film crew. The people were filmed putting on shows, singing, swimming, playing with friends and doing gymnastics. This was a front put on by the Nazis to make it look like they were treating the Jews well. Sadly, we all know the truth.

The panel ended. I said goodbye to the NOM and got on the line to purchase A Thousand Darknesses: Lies and Truth in Holocaust Fiction, by Franklin and Tin King: How I Cheated Death, by Fantlova. I got on the book signing line and was lucky to spend a few minutes conversing with Fantlova. We shook hands. I walked away and the next person approached to get her signature. Now, I’ve shaken hands with lots of people, including Bill Clinton, the members of Depeche Mode, Idina Menzel, Lou Piniella, Joe Torre, etc. But this was far more meaningful. I can’t explain how it felt. I viewed the art and left the Y. I know will read the two books with great attention.

Shevat 9 or Feb. 2, Ground Hog, day I plan to attend the Farbrengen commemorating the Yazhreit of the previous Lubavitcher Rebbe, Yosef Yitzchok Schneersohn. The guest speaker is an Auschwitz survivor and a distant relative of the rabbi hosting the gathering. The rabbi told us that his relative credits his survival to the blessing he received from the previous Rebbe shortly before he was sent to Auschwitz.

I know I often complain about the most inane things. Just ask my mother or sister. They probably couldn’t fill the Grand Canyon with my goofiness. But what I saw and heard tonight makes me realize how precious is. I know the Farbrengen will heighten this.

B”H

2 comments:

  1. I've read a lot about the infamous Terezin and it always distresses me. Thanks for a very interesting and moving article.

    ReplyDelete