Saturday, January 14, 2012

Quarters

Quarters

November 3, 2003


Wow, I got another quarter. How exciting. It just made my day. What is it about getting quarters? It’s not like receiving a million dollars. How many other people get excited when they get a quarter? No, it is not just twenty-five cents, but also a quarter.

Years ago, I parked in a muni-lot and the meters only took quarters. Not dimes, nickels or pennies. What takes those? I used to collect them. Yeah, you could buy a muni-card, but I was much happier using a quarter. I used to take my soda cans to King Kullen and put them into the slimy machine. Every five cans the machine dropped out a quarter. Sheer excitement.

Tonight I did laundry. I live in an apartment complex, so I don’t have my own washer or dryer and I am stuck using the laundry room.

Guess what the machines run on? Yep quarters. Six each. With the amount of clothes I own, I usually need 30 to 36 quarters a week to do my laundry. Every time I go to the store, I pray my change will be in quarters. When I get my change in nickels and dimes, my whole day is ruined. There are some stores and gas stations that virtually always give change in quarters. Those are the places I frequent most of all.

At work we have a soda machine that only gives quarters as change. I rarely drink soda, but when I need quarters I stroll right over to that machine. Our receptionist keeps cups of quarters for people who need change. Often, I exchange dollar bills for well you know what.

This is isn’t something new, but its been going on for well over 10 years. When I go to the gym, I take all the quarters out of my pockets and put them in the cup holder of my car. Heaven forbid, I lose a quarter when I’m changing into my shorts and t-shirt. That would rip my heart out.

When I parked in the muni-lot, I would lay my quarters out the night before I drove off. I had to use 12. Many times I laid out 13 in case I dropped one down a sewer while feeding the meter. Ah, the life of a New York City resident.

No comments:

Post a Comment